Monday, March 6

Off-topic mini-rant about credit card companies...

Last year I got a "The Great Indoors" master card (owned by Sears...that should have made me say "no thanks" right off the bat...) to help buy some kitchen-related goodies when I was renovating. It was no interest or payments for a year so I said "sure! why not." It paid for my appliances and whatnot, and still has a relatively low interest rate which is a good thing.

About 6 months ago, while on a business trip that lasted two weeks, I forgot to schedule my online payments for my bills. Consequently my TGI Master card was about...oh, 8 days or so late. Not too bad, oopsie me, whatever. NOT according to Sears. They called me 4 times in one day, then 3 times the next day. I finally gave in and answered the phone the 4th time they called. Took care of it, apologized for being somewhat late, explained the situation, and was nice to the guy on the other end of the phone.

I thought that was that. I was wrong. They CONTINUED CALLING ME for a week - or until my payment had cleared. Now, please explain this to me: I wasn't 30 days late. I wasn't 90 days late. I hadn't even technically missed a billing cycle. I talked to someone there, who supposedly made a "note" in my "file" that things were "arranged" and yet I continued to be harassed. Am I just being ultra-sensitive?

Flash forward to this month. I was paying my bills online (on time, this time) and noticed on my TGI statement that there was a "late fee" from last month even though the statement showed my payment posted well within the due date. "Hm", I thought. I called and politely asked why there was a late fee. I was very embarassed to find out that I had somehow paid the wrong amount. Oops. I again apologized for being a dyslexic dolt and told the guy at the customer service hotline place that I'd make the full payment by the due date this month. And I'm sorry and how did that happen and thanks for your help. "No problem, ma'am, I'll make a note of it thanks for calling". Done. Right?

Wrong. Today - this morning - I get a call from TGI. Yep, so they can tell me I underpaid last month and owe them money. I took a VERY deep breath and told the nice man on the other end of the phone that I talked to someone about this already and they'll get their payment by the 13th. Both he and I considered the matter closed ("thank you, ma'am, sorry for the trouble, I'll make a note, blah blah"), and we hung up.

Since that conversation at 9am today, I have received no fewer than 3 calls from TGI. (update: 4:25 - two more calls...)

Isn't that harassment?
Just sayin'.

Thank you for listening. Had to get that out of my system.
We now return to our regularly scheduled blogging.