Monday, December 19

Rebuilding... for 57 years

Someone had the above title written on a sign going to the Lions game yesterday.

Yes, sadly, I was there. I saw the debacle. Got there into the first just in time to see the Bengals get their second TD. And, to add further insult to injury, Chad Johnson did not even feel the need for any endzone celebration antics after the TD! I mean, truly, that was half the reason we went to the game!

I have to say, being at Ford Field was extremely disturbing. I never thought I'd see the day that I would be in a Detroit sports stadium and see more people wearing the other team's colors than there were home supporters. Yes, there were many Bengals fans who had driven up from Ohio. But there were also quite a few orange clad Detroiters there. (many sporting a "Fire Millen" slogan) And the cheering was all for the Bengals. The Detroit fans could barely muster up applause for the one TD I saw us get.

The Lions, as usual, didn't show up. They were just counting the seconds until they could go home. I did feel a little bad for them that, unlike myself and most fans, they actually had to stay until the end of the fourth quarter.

This is PATHETIC. The Lions are unacceptable. This is a town of champions. The Wings, the Pistons... hey, even the Tigers won in '84. At least I was alive when that occured.

It is complete crap that the Lions haven't even come close to a championship in 50 years. Not only does Millen need to go, but I'd really like the Fords to get out of the football business if they don't care to make the investment to build a decent team --that at least makes the playoffs say... once every seven years. Maybe actually win a playoff game once every 10. Is that really too much to ask? The Fords should be ashamed. I can tell you one thing, if Mike Ilitch owned the Lions, we would not be in this state.

Obviously, making smart decisions regarding coaches and managers is where it starts. How about getting a line before the QB? I've said it before --a Manning couldn't throw behind that pathetic line.

I don't care what lengths they have to go to --get a priest or root doctor in there. When your own players believe the team is cursed (yes, I have heard Lion players interviewed that say they are starting to believe in the "curse"), you have a huge problem.

I propose a boycott of Ford vehicles until they show that they're committed to the football team that they've owned... let's see, for the last 50 years of losing. Who's with me?

Update: Michael from Monoblogue (cool name) weighs in on the Lions as well. *pfft* on them, I say. Go see our Pistons or our Wings instead. Money MUCH better spent. In my humble opinion.