Tuesday, November 29

Boston says "okay" to a CHRISTMAS tree

Yep, the House Speaker has decided that the Capital Holiday Tree is now the Capital Christmas Tree. Small victory, yes. But still, victory.

I take issue with a paragraph in the article that states:
"To rename a Christmas tree as a holiday tree is as offensive as renaming a Jewish menorah a candlestick"
Because in all fairness, a Christmas Tree is not the Christian symbol of Jesus being born here as a human baby. The Christmas Tree itself is not a symbol of Christianity...not in my mind, anyway. The menorah is a symbol of Hannukkah, and is crucial and central to the celebrating of that particular holiday. I think a better analogy is to say "to rename the Cross a stick of wood is as offensive as renaming a Jewish menorah a candlestick".

I think the main point that we are having problems with is the scrubbing of "Christ" out of everything. We have problems with the oh-so-PC crowd changing our holidays because someone, somewhere, might be offended. (and that is a subject for another post, "Minority Rules" that's still being concocted)

But do not be mistaken, a Christmas tree is in NO WAY a symbol of Christianity. A nativity scene, yes. Not a Christmas tree. Although the term "Christmas" is a term referring to a Christian holiday. It is not, in and of itself, offensive.

Can someone tell me what harm I am doing by saying "Merry Christmas"? Would you rather I cheerfully ask you to "F-k off"? It's a greeting. Not an indoctrination or secret code or anything offensive. I don't get offended if someone says "Happy Hannukkah". I assume that somewhere out there someone is having a happy Hannukkah since it's Hannukkah. If I say "Merry Christmas" and you happen to be Jewish, I'm not minimizing your traditions. You say "Merry Christmas" back because it's...well...Christmas, too.

8 or so years ago when I worked in retail I would say "Merry Christmas" (wasn't supposed to, management at the very upscale department store - won't mention any names but the initials are NM - said that was a no-no) and if someone happened to be Jewish, they would smile and say "Happy Hanukkah". I would smile back. No harm done. I think I posted before about my attempt at PC-ness by saying "Happpy Holidays" to a customer, feeling very proud and tolerant, and the woman sort of scowled sadly at me and said "Merry CHRISTMAS to you, too!". I didn't say "happy holidays" again after that.

Okay, I'm digressing into my other post that I haven't finished thinking about yet. :) More later, ya'll.